I’m on a Hatch Chili kick as you can see. Here’s another good and wholesome unprocessed meal that’s gluten, GMO, and dairy free that has hatch chilies!!! Unlike your typical shepherd’s pie, I used cauliflower in place of potatoes and threw a sprinkle of bacon on top since everything is better with a little bacon!
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 25-35 min
- 1/2 lb Bison, ground
- 2 Cups Mixed Organic Squash
- 1 Cup Organic Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/2 Cup Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Hot Roasted Hatch Chilies
- 2 Slices of Cooked Bacon (Nitrate and preservative free), chopped.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (you can use lite if you’d like).
- 1/2 Cup No Sodium Beef or Bison Broth
- Celtic Salt
- 1/2 Head of Cauliflower
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, brown meat with onion and garlic until brown, once brown add stock and all veggies EXCEPT cauliflower and 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper. Cook for 15 min on low to simmer. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- While Mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook cauliflower until done. Blend/pulse in a blender with 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk and add salt to taste. (Think mashed potatoes)! (You can add butter if you would like here, like a TBS).
- In a medium casserole and meat and veggie mixture and top with cauliflower puree, spread evenly. Top with bacon.
- Save to bake later: Wrap with foil and place in fridge. When you are ready to re-heat heat oven to 350F and cook for 25 -35 min or until hot in middle.
- If you are cooking right away heat oven to 350 F and cook for 10-15 min.
Wholesome is right, this shepherd’s pie has everything 😀
Awesome! I have ground bison in the freezer and need some ideas…tell me how the cauliflower tasted as the topper. I tried mashed cauliflower one time to eat like mashed potatoes but it didn’t turn out right, too thin.
Best bet is to start by adding very small amount of the coconut milk to your cauliflower, add until you get the consistency you like. I used 1/2 a head of cauliflower with 1/2 a cup of coconut milk, you have to take into account the water from the cauliflower. It is really tasty and if you want to go all out you can beat up an egg and brush some egg on top of cauliflower to get a nice hint of browning and that will also create texture.
MMMmmmmm, bison! This is awesome.
That’s a serious new take on shepherds pie – yum!
Thanks 🙂 It’s a good one and quite satisfying!
MMMM8 What a tasty & appetizing dish! It looks super yummy already!