This is a fun spin on chicken enchiladas and if you are looking to eliminate processed/GMO foods (like corn tortillas) you will love this. This is ALMOST a dairy free version and can easily be dairy free with one tweak., don’t add the cheese🙂 It’s also gluten free.
I’m in love with hatch chilies and I always look forward to August when they come out!
The sweet potato gives these enchiladas a nice texture and the slight sweetness goes great as a replacement for corn tortillas. Give it a try and let me know how it goes🙂
Prep: 30 min
Cook Time: 15-30 min
Makes: 7 enchiladas
- 2 Chicken breast, cooked and shredded. Get pasture raised chickens.
- 3 Hot Roasted Hatch Chilies and 3 Mild Roasted Hatch Chilies, remove the top.
- 1 Organic Purple Onion, small (about 1/4 Cup).
- 1 Organic White Onion, small (about 1/4 Cup).
- 2 Cloves of Wild Garlic
- 1/2 C. Organic Coconut Milk (you can use lite if you would like).
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Celtic Salt.
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 or 2* Organic Sweet Potato, sliced thinly long ways on mandolin.
- 1 Teaspoon of organic coconut oil for baking dish.
- OPTIONAL: Kerrygold Cheddar Cheese (Grass Fed Cow Cheese) for topping the enchiladas if you desire.
- Blend up hatch chilies, onions, garlic, coconut milk, and spices in a blender until consistency of salsa.
- Cook on med / low for 25 min.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add sliced sweet potatoes to boiling water and cook for 6 min. Drain and set aside.
- Reserve 1/2 Cup of hatch chili salsa. Mix chicken into the remaining large portion of salsa.
- In a large baking dish smear the coconut oil down and lay down 7 or the 14 sweet potato slices (I broke some while slicing so I just placed them back together). *If you want them all to be “perfect” you may get 2 sweet potatoes to have reserves just in case…
- Add chicken and salsa mixture to each potato and top with another slice of potato. Once you are done take the reserved salsa and put a little bit on the top of each potato enchilada then sprinkle with cheese.
- Either reserve dish to bake later or bake NOW at 300 F for 15-20 min.
- If you are waiting for later, heat oven to 375 F and bake for 30 min or until warm all the way through.