This is one of my favorite comfort food dishes! After moving quite a ways away from Shady Grove in Austin- Evan and I started making our own (about once or twice a year). If you can’t make it there this should cure your craving!
It’s worth the work! Trust me on this… Just make sure you go for a longggg walk before you have it so you don’t feel too guilty 😉
Prep Time: 30min
Cook Time: 10-12 min per batch of fish
- 1.5 oz Lemon Juice
- 1oz Franks Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 4 5-6oz Fish Filets, you can use catfish or cod, we like both. Cod is really nice and substantial for frying…
- 2.5 C. Flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 2.5 C. Buttermilk Full Fat
- 2.5 C. Corn Tortilla Strips, sliced thin.
- Peanut Oil for Frying
- 6 oz Chili Con Queso, I like to make a green chili variety.
- 4 oz Pico de Gallo
- Lime Wedges to garnish
- Whisk the lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Dip each fish fillet in the lemon juice mixture. Dredge fish in seasoned flour, followed by buttermilk, and then corn tortilla flakes to coat completely.
- *I make the hubby my Fry Daddy, and usually request him to do it outside… 🙂 Pour peanut oil into a large, deep saute pan until it comes about halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. When oil is hot, carefully add fish fillets to pan, in batches if necessary, and deep-fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes total. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Place a drizzle of queso on top of each fried fish. Then top with pico de gallo on top of the fish. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.