Ever since I got my Kitchen Aid mixer I’ve been experimenting with tons of new things (new to me)! I love bread so I’ve made a few batches of that lately. I’ve also been doing pizza crusts which are FAR better than anything you can buy frozen or pre-made 🙂 We recently moved far away from any “real” pizza (all that’s out here is Domino’s). So one night I decided I would create one of our favorites at home. This is my rendition of the Parma Pizza at Mandola’s Italian Market. It was very similar, it had crispy crust, it looked the same, and it was tasty! The only thing I would have done differently was get the dough thinner (we prefer cracker like crust), this was a bit thicker but still good. I still miss our usual Thursday Mandola’s night out… but this helps!
Prep: 1.5 hrs
Cook Time: 15-20
- 1 (1/4 ounce) Package active dry yeast
- 1 C. Warm water
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 C. Cornmeal
Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl.
Add sea salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cup flour.
Attach bowl and dough hook, turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute.
Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to dough hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
Cover, let rise in warmest place in house away from draft until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
Punch dough down.
Brush 14 inch pizza pan with oil and sprinkle cornmeal to cover pan.
Press dough across bottom of pan forming collar around edge to hold filling Top with fillings and bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes.
- 7-9 Slices of Parma ham aka Prosciutto
- 1/4 C. Parmigiano Reggiano , shredded
- 1/2 C. Mozzarella, shredded
- 4 C. Fresh arugula
- Olive oil, 2 TBS
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 tsp. Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 10-15 Pieces of shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- Lemon juice from 2 lemons and a tsp of olive oil mixed together.
- Prepare dough and make pie.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil and spices.
- Spread oil mixture onto pie evenly.
- Distribute 1/2 C. Mozzarella on to pie.
- Distribute Parma ham on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the Parmigiano Reggiano lightly on top of the Parma ham.
- Bake for about 15 min-20 min until crust is crispy.
- Top with arugula and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Drizzle lemon juice and oil on top!