This is one of my FAVORITE dishes to make for dinner guests. It’s so incredibly good and is sure to please! La Marechal Emmi Cheese is so amazing with this dish, it really ties it all together. I served this with grilled brussel sprouts, a potato gratin, and homemade bread. The plates were cleaned (except for the bones of course). This is a great special occasion dinner as well. The quail can be hard to find and are a bit on the pricey side, I pay about $ 3-4 per quail and like to serve 2-3 per person. You can always ask your hunter friends 🙂
Cook Time: 20-30 min
Serves: 4 with 2 quail per person
- 8 semi-boneless quail, washed and pat dry.
- 8 slices of bacon, nitrate free please 🙂
- 1 block of La Marechal Emmi Cheese, about 8 oz or so.
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced into 8 long slices
- 2 TBS rendered duck fat, you can buy it here via Marx Foods
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1lb of brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 clove of garlic, minced for brussel sprouts
- 1 TBS butter for brussel sprouts
- 1 lemon, zest on top of sprouts
- Clean quail and stuff with one piece of jalapeno, one chunk of cheese, and wrap with bacon. Repeat until done with all 8.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Gather 2 large skillets. One for quail and one for sprouts, use a griddle if you have one for the sprouts to “grill” them. Bring skillets to medium high then add 2 TBS of duck fat to the quail skillet and 1 TBS of butter and garlic to the sprouts skillet.
- Add quail and sprouts to respective skillets: Cook quail for about 3-4 min on each side and season with salt and pepper lightly. Then transfer to the oven in a shallow baking pan for 5 more min. Do not over cook. Cook sprouts until nice and browned (tossing occasionally), season lightly with salt and pepper. Keep warm in a covered dish.
- Once quail are done in the oven plate your food and serve with a big red like Chocolate Block