On days that I’m super busy I find that it’s very helpful to throw something in the crock pot for dinner since I know I will be reluctant to cook when I get home…usually resulting in ordering a craptastic pizza or eating out -spending too much $$… So when I can I usually throw something like this together when I come home for lunch to let the dog out. It takes about 15 min or so and then all I have to do when I’m off work is serve it up 🙂
Prep: 15 min
Cook Time: 4.5-8 hours (4.5 high, 8 low)
- 4 Chicken thighs, remove fat if desired (I remove all but one).
- 1/2 Yellow onion, sliced into thin slices
- 1 Large sweet potato, sliced into wedges
- 1 garlic clove, mashed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1.5 C. Chicken stock
- 1/4 C. White wine
- 6 Stems of fresh thyme, removed from stem
- 1/2 TBS Dried herb blend
- Wild rice if desired to serve with chicken
- Heat medium/large skillet on high, place chicken meat side down and brown thighs (about 5 min). Leave grease in skillet and turn to low.
- Place thighs in crock, browned side up.
- Cook slivered onions and garlic in the chicken grease, if you didn’t skin your chicken of fat you may want to discard some of that fat with a paper towel (careful it’s hot). By leaving one thigh with the fat I find that it leaves just enough for the onion to cook in, plus my husband likes the skin… so he gets that every once in a while as a treat. Cook onion and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add raw sweet potato wedges to crock pot surrounding the thighs, pour stock and wine on top of potatoes and chicken.
- Add onions and garlic to the top of chicken and then add seasonings including herb blend.
- Cook for 4.5 hour on high or 8 on low in a crock pot.
- Serve with rice or noodles if desired.