Mmmm… Mmmm… Good and NOT in a Processed Campbell’s Soup Kinda Way!
Cook: 15-20 min
- 1LB Organic broccoli (fresh, not frozen).
- 1 Medium shallot, chopped
- 1/4 Large onion, chopped
- 2 Large organic carrots, sliced
- 3 Cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 and 3/4 C Sharp Cheddar
- 4 C. Chicken stock, look for free-range and free of MSG (or vegetable stock).
- 1/2 C. Organic half and half
- 4 TBS Organic flour
- 3 TBS Butter
- 1 tsp Fresh organic thyme
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, boil fresh broccoli and carrots for 2 min, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Reserve a handful of broccoli for the very end.
- Melt 3 TBS of butter in pot on medium, add onion, shallots, garlic, and thyme cook for 2 min, stirring constantly.
- Add 4 TBS of flour then slowly whisk chicken stock into mixture until dissolved. Add broccoli and carrots and cook for 2 min on high. Add garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
- Puree mixture with either a hand blender or food processor. (May want to do this in batches, depending on your blending method).
- Return to pot if need be and add half and half and cheese, stir well until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli reserve to pot of soup and salt to taste (about 1 tsp of sea salt to start).
- Serve with croutons or crackers.