I love chicken noodle soup! Evan and I rarely get sick (knock on wood) so I cannot just wait until one of us gets sick to make it 🙂 It’s good when you’re 100% I promise! Also If you haven’t already…please vote for my last blog of Bacon and Vanilla Fregola Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting that’s in the Marx Foods Dessert Challenge, voting ends today at 12 PST, it’s easy no email or registration needed to vote! Thanks for all of your support. 🙂
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 2 hrs
- 32 oz Chicken Stock (use homemade or something like Kitchen Basics).
- 1 C. Water
- 2 Chicken breasts, raw and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 C. Sliced or cubed carrots
- 2 C. Sliced celery
- 1/2 Large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 TBS Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TBS Zestybeandog Fine Herb Blend
- 1/2 TBS fresh black pepper
- 10 oz Homemade egg noodles
- Transfer stock to a large pot and turn heat to high, bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables and spices Set timer and cook for 20 min then reduce to low heat.
- Add chicken when it has been an hour and fifteen minutes and cover.
- During the last 20 min add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Salt to taste. (This will vary depending on your stock you used)
Serve with cornbread, crackers, or toast….maybe even a grilled cheese.
This is a super easy dish to prepare in the crock pot for busy days! It’s healthy and prepared in four simple steps. Cooking this dish with bone in thighs give it a great flavor and is easier than other methods where you have to cut, cube, brown, pull etc…
Prep: 10 min
Cook Time: 7.5 hrs on LOW
- 4-6 Free-Range chicken thighs, most of fat removed (as much as you can) I just peel it off with my hands and discard.
- 32 oz Kitchen Basics no sodium chicken broth
- 32 oz Kitchen Basics regular beef broth
- 3 Large organic tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups or 1.5 cans).
- 4 Stalks of celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Can of black beans
- 1.5 C. Corn, fresh is best (or one can).
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 TBS Sea salt, fresh ground pepper, mexican oregano, and chili powder (1 TBS each of these).
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin powder, freshly ground is always better 🙂
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 TBS Zestybeandog Fine Herb Blend (Coming soon for purchase).
- Cut produce that needs to be cut up and place in crock. Empty (drained) can of beans into crock as well.
- Skin chicken thighs and place in crock.
- Add stock to crock.
- Add spices. Cook for 7.5 hrs on LOW or 4 on high. Chicken should come right off the bone.
Serve with a little Monterrey Jack or cheese of your choice and crackers if desired. Watch for the bone. I serve one thigh for each person with the soup, the meat comes off the bone very easily. You can remove bone from thighs if desired before serving.
This low fat treat is great for a cold night like tonight! It’s got OVER 10 veggies in it! 🙂
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min
Serves: A lot 6-8?
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 head of purple cauliflower, broken down into small florets (JBG*)
- Broccoli florets, same amount as above (JBG)
- 4 carrots, sliced (JBG)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 squash, sliced
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, chopped (JBG)
- 2 handfuls of collard greens, sliced
- Green Onion, chopped for topping (JBG)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 TBS fresh ginger, minced
- 3 limes
- 1 lemon
- 5 sprigs of thyme, pulled off stems
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 6-7 C. Chicken Stock, use a good quality one (without MSG) or homemade, I used 7 cups because I had extra in the fridge but two boxes is equal to 6 cups.
- 1 tsp butter
- Cook onion and garlic in 1 tsp of butter until browned
- Pour chicken stock in a large stock pot and turn on medium high, once onions and garlic are done transfer to stock pot with broth.
- Wash all veggies and slice, cut, break up accordingly.
- Transfer veggies to pot along with citrus juice and simmer for about 20 min. Then season broth with spices to taste.
- Cut up chicken breasts and let them cook for about 5 min or until done.
Serve with crackers or toast if desired. Also this is great without chicken too!
*JBG means these veggies are locally harvested organic produce from Johnson’s Backyard Garden