ZestyBeanDog has entered another Marx Foods Contest! They are just too much fun to not partake in! Marx Foods send you a box of sample sized goodies and the rules are simple: You have to use at least two ingredients and then blog the recipe. This time around there will be 2 winners, one from internal vote and one from public vote (that me means YOU, my dear friends). Voting will begin on Tuesday at which point I will add the new link to my blog. Then you can check out all the recipes and vote for your favorite one! The winners get $100 in Marx Food Store Credit and you know I need that BAD!!! I’m all out of YUZU juice! 😉
I chose to use the Bamboo Rice, Cardamom, and the Mint Herb Crystals to create a Kiwi and Mango Nigiri. This was a tasty and whimsical play on dessert and sushi that I will be making it again for sure, probably for a dinner party. The cardamom infused bamboo rice was subtle yet alluring and the slight crunch of the crystalized mint paired surprisingly well with the mango and bamboo rice. I couldn’t resist doing kiwi not only because it’s green but also because I love it and the little seeds gave a great texture to the nigiri. The nigiri was then served with a orange honey marmalade and rice wine sauce. Overall it was a fun dish, to eat and to make!
Prep Time: 60 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serves: Makes 8 Nigiri
- .5 Cup Bamboo Rice
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Rice wine vinegar
- 5 Cardamom pods broken crushed with seeds
- 1 Kiwi
- 1 Mango
- 1 tsp Crystalized Mint
- 4 Mint leaves, small
- Boil 1 Cup of water add crushed cardamom pods and seeds, let sit for 10 min on simmer. Strain and reserve water for rice.
- Add rinsed bamboo rice to water bring to a boil, add 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, cover and simmer for 20 min or until done.
- Cut up kiwi and mango thinly to arrange on top of rice.
- Let rice cool for about 20-30 min.
- Make 8 nigiri mounds with your hands and place fruit on top and garnish with crystalized mint and real mint.
- Serve with honey orange marmalade with a splash of rice wine.
Enjoy with a glass of wine!