I recently did a 40 Day Yoga Challenge where I wasn’t eating any meat other than seafood. During that time Evan and I went to a party at our good friends Liz and Kyle’s house for some Paella! She made vegan Spanish chorizo for some of the other non meat eaters and I instead of using real meat (thanks Liz)! It was awesome, texture and all, that’s right… I said it… texture and all- and even better it wasn’t made from tofu! I made her version during my 40 Day Challenge in my own Paella at home with great results. So I decided to make an Italian version for fun a couple of nights ago. It turned out fantastic, even Evan was a big fan!
This Italian sausage goes great in pasta dishes or in a salad like you will see below. I’ll also include the nutrition facts 🙂 It contains 16 grams of PROTEIN!, pretty good for a vegan “meat” 🙂
I made this simple salad today for lunch: Baby Kale, Spinach, Red Onion, Cucumbers, Grape Tomatoes, Goat Cheese, and of course my Italian Vegan Sausage. With a Greek Yogurt, Lemon, Sage, Sirracha Dressing. It hit the spot!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves: Approximately 9 : 2 oz servings
- 1/2 C. Pinto beans, rinsed. You can use canned beans- I used canned organic beans…
- 1 C. Organic vegetable broth
- 1 TBS. Olive oil
- 2 TBS. Light soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Lemon zest
- 2 Cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 1/4 C. Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 C. Nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS Basil, chopped very fine
- 1 TBS Oregano
- 1 TBS Marjoram
- 1/2 TBS Onion powder
- 2 tsp. Red pepper flake
- 1/2 TBS Black pepper
- Set up steaming apparatus. (Large pot, little bit of water, steam tray, and lid.)
- Lay out 3 sheet of foil to wrap sausage in. A sushi roller will help for this later.
- Mash beans well in medium bowl.
- Add all ingredients IN ORDER to bowl.
- Once all ingredients are added, knead “dough” with hands until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide dough into 3 balls, roll each ball out into a link shape and place each one on a separate sheet of foil. This is where the sushi roller comes in handy… Roll the foil around the link and use the sushi roller to roll and compact your link making it nice and firm. Twist off ends of foil and repeat with the rest.
- Place sausages in steaming apparatus and steam for 40 min on low/medium.
- Unroll- careful they will be hot and let cool. Then you can slice and cook up on the stove to get some crispiness if desired. DO NOT USE HIGH HEAT, they will burn.
Serve as you wish! On a salad, pasta, sandwich, wrap, the possibilites are endless.
Paella Made with Vegan Spanish Chorizo!
This is a delicious and healthy lunch or dinner dish that is super simple to prepare. You will love it!!!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 6 min
- 2 Ahi tuna steaks (I like to do about a 4-5 oz steak).
- 2 cups Green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups Purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 TBS Pickled ginger
- 3 TBS Cilantro, chopped rough
- 1 TBS Black sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Coconut oil
Dressing for slaw
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Agave nectar
- 1 TBS Yuzu juice
- 2 TBS Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Wasabi paste
- Wash Ahi and pat dry, season with salt and pepper. Place in fridge while you prep slaw.
- Mix cabbage, cilantro, sesame seeds, and ginger in a medium mixing bowl. Place in fridge.
- Mix up slaw dressing and reserve, dress right before serving.
- In medium to large skillet heat 1 tsp of coconut oil on medium high.
- Sear tuna for about 3 min on each side, at the end of the second side sear the edges quickly- serve rare. You can always cook longer but do not over cook! You want it to be pink in the middle. 🙂
- Place tuna on top of dressed slaw salad! Serve with anything else you like, I did sweet potato gnocchi!
I love curry anything and Tabbouleh, I could probably eat it every week! This is a simple week night meal especially if you aren’t making the naan, humus, and Tzatziki. All of those ingredients can be usually store bought if you’re in a crunch! I usually make my own but when I made this I was exhausted and my husband laughed at me when I said this was my “easy cheat meal”… Meaning I didn’t make it all from scratch…He thought I was crazy and loved it all. I felt like I was cheating, mainly because I knew I can make all of those things pretty well. It just adds another hour minimum of work and lots of dishes to clean 😦 Needless to say sometimes you just gotta cheat and it’s not like I caved and ordered a Domino’s Pizza :)… YUCK! So for all you Austinites out there if you need to cheat to make this meal go to Whip In pick up some house made Naan, some Grandma’s Hummus, and some Tzatziki (you can get the Tzatziki at HEB if they don’t have any, I have not personally bought the Tzatziki there only the hummus and Naan).
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 10-15 min
Serves: 2 -With extra tabouli left over for lunch the next day 🙂
- 2 Free range chicken breasts, about 4-6 oz each, cubed.
- 2-4 Pieces of warmed Naan (you may want extra to dip in your hummus).
- Grind in a mortar and pestle : 1 tsp Hot Madras Curry Powder, 2 threads of saffron, 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1/4 tsp Tumeric, and 1 tsp. black pepper. I will be making a ZBD blend of this as well available for purchase very soon!
- 2 Lemons, juiced.
- 1-2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TBS butter
- Cucumber slices
- Tomato slices
- 1/2 C. Wheat bulgur, soak in 2 cups of hot water for 20 min covered- until soft.
- 1 Large organic tomato, cubed (get a firm one).
- 1/4 C. Finely chopped mint, organic
- 1/2 C. Finely chopped parsley, organic
- 2-3 TBS Quality olive oil
- 1/4 C. Organic lemon juice
- 1/4 C. Scallions, organic
- 1 TBS. Pepper, fine
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1tsp. Garlic powder
- Soak bulgur wheat in water and transfer to a strainer, then to a medium mixing bowl. Add components from above and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve. It’s even better the next day 🙂
- Prep chicken and heat butter in large skillet on medium high until butter is bubbling. Add chicken and spices and toss so chicken is covered. Add lemon juice and cook until chicken is done. About 10 min depending on cube sizes. Get a nice browning on the chicken. Warm Naan in oven for about 4-5 min on 350 F. while chicken finishes up.
- Once done place chicken in Naan wraps and top with cucumber and tomato slices and drizzle to Tzatziki on top if desired and serve with a side of Tabbouleh and Hummus!
- I like to serve the hummus with some extra Naan. Enjoy!
This is a quick and healthy dinner that’s satisfying and tasty!
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 30 Min (3o min if you make potatoes, 10 without).
Serves: 2-3 (May have some left over for a small lunch).
- 16 Large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Squash, sliced and quartered, thick chunks
- 1 Zucchini, sliced and quartered, thick chunks
- 1/2 C. Baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- .5 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Fine herbs
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning blend, I make my own but you can use Zatarran’s or something similar, look for one that doesn’t have MSG.
- Pinch of pepper
- Cut produce
- Peel shrimp, rinse, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a large skillet, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, add shrimp, cook for 2 min on each side until golden. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Cook veggies in other TBS of olive oil for about 7 min and add seasonings and stir to coat all the veggies, mix in shrimp for about a min and mix well.
- Serve with potatoes or your choice of side.
This recipe is only 310 calories (210 if you omit the crackers) and 30 grams of protein (great for after a workout)! I eat this on a regular basis and love it! The carrots and pickles give it a nice crunch, especially if you are omitting the crackers.
Prep: 3-5 min
- 1 Can of low sodium chunk light albacore tuna in water, I like Bumble Bee brand
- 1 Handful of carrot sticks, chopped
- 2 Clausen pickle spears, chopped
- 1 Small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 Handful of baby spinach, chopped
- 1 TBS Kraft light mayo, made with olive oil
- 1 TBS spicy mustard
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Mix together and serve with crackers of your choice! Enjoy 🙂
This is a simple and tasty meal you can make in a flash with minimal ingredients!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35-45 min
- 2 Thick pork chops
- 2 Large russet potatoes, leave skin on if desired
- 1-2 TBS of butter
- 2 TBS Whole wheat flour
- 8oz Beef broth
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2-4 oz 2 % Milk
- .5 C. Milk
- BBQ sauce, your choice of brand or make your own
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- Cut up potatoes into inch chunks and boil until tender
- Season chops with salt and pepper and pan sear in medium skillet with olive oil for 3 min each side. Slather bbq sauce on chops.
- Bake chops in oven at 375 degrees for 20 min until done
- While chops are baking start gravy, melt butter in a skillet on medium, add flour slowly until you make a roux like substance. Add beef broth slowly while mixing roux like mixture, add 1-2 TBS of milk and stir, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When potatoes are done, mash and add milk and salt to proper consistency.
- Check chops for doneness and serve with potatoes and any green of your choice.
You’re going to love this quick and healthy meal! Great for a weeknight or weekend!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8-10 min
- 4 4-6 oz Mahi Mahi filets (Wild)
- 1 Mango, diced
- 1/2 Red onion, diced finely
- 1 Handful of cilantro, chopped finely
- 1/2 Poblano pepper, diced finely
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1/2 Lemon juiced (save other 1/2 for fish).
- Pinch of red pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except the fish and olive oil and mix well.
- Heat large skillet on medium high with olive oil, squeeze remaining half of lemon juice on filets and salt and pepper and place meat side down skin side up and cook for 4 min or so. Flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes or until done. Fish should have a nice sear on top.
- Spoon salsa evenly on all filets.
- Serve with your choice of veggies/sides. I chose mashed sweet potatoes and a field green and watercress salad with baby bellas, blackberries, and cashews. For the salad I made a simple dressing of red wine vinegar, a dash of oil, mustard, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
Healthy, Quick, and Simple Soup, Great for Lunch or a Side for Dinner!
I served this soup with pan seared Ahi Tuna on a bed of seasoned cabbage.
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 10 min
- 4 C. chicken broth, free of MSG (You can use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian).
- 1 Medium purple headed turnip, thick julienne
- 2 Medium carrot , thick julienne
- 1 Quarter of an onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 Can of baby corn
- 4-6 chunks of fresh broccoli
- 1 TBS scallions
- 1 tsp of chili paste (more or less to taste depending on how hot you want it).
- 2 TBS soy sauce (light).
- 3 TBS lime juice
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 TBS green onions, sliced
- Bring chicken stock to a boil, add all produce except broccoli and green onions. Boil for 2 min
- Add lime juice, soy sauce, and chili paste. Boil for 5 min.
- Slowly whisk in egg, make sure soup is boiling.
- Add broccoli and cook for 3 more min.
Serve with green onion.