Arugulaaaa it’s a VEGET-A-BLE 😉
This sandwich is healthy, filling, and delicious. As an added bonus it’s under 300 calories, 254 cals to be exact, high in protein and fiber.I love simple sandwiches like this, especially when I’m tired of the same ole meat and cheese.
- Calories: 254
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbs: 31 grams
- Protein: 15 grams
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
- Sodium: 386 mg
- Net carbs: 24 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Sugars: 2 grams
- Calcium: 30%
Prep Time: 5 min
- 1 Orowheat Sandwich Thin
- 1.5 oz Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 Tomato (small), sliced
- 1 TBS Hummus, I like to make my own.
- .5 C. Arugula
Spread the hummus on the lightly toasted thin, then add tomatoes, mozzarella, and arugula. Done!
Check out this EASY and healthy twist on a BLT!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 4-6 min
- 4 slices of whole grain or wheat bread, toasted
- .5 lb Ahi Tuna Steak (Sashimi grade).
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, sliced- I used a roma
- 4 slices of Applegate Farms uncured turkey bacon, cooked (this is important to use a quality brand)!
- 2 Handfuls of of fresh spinach
- 1/4 C olive oil mayo
- 1/2 TBS spicy mustard
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper for aioli
- Pinch of chervil, dried- or parsley, dried
- Mix all together to make your aioli
- Heat a medium skillet on medium high, add 1 tsp of olive oil and once hot add tuna steak to skillet. Cook for 2-3 min on each side, should be pink in the middle. You can make the Aioli while cooking the tuna.
- Toast bread slices while slicing tuna AGAINST the grain carefully, about a centimeter thick if possible.
- Assemble sandwich, aioli on top slice. Bottom slice: spinach, tuna, bacon, tomatoes, then top slice that has aioli.
Enjoy! Serve with some veggies or baked chips!
Mmmm… Mmmm… Good and NOT in a Processed Campbell’s Soup Kinda Way!
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15-20 min
- 1LB Organic broccoli (fresh, not frozen).
- 1 Medium shallot, chopped
- 1/4 Large onion, chopped
- 2 Large organic carrots, sliced
- 3 Cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 and 3/4 C Sharp Cheddar
- 4 C. Chicken stock, look for free-range and free of MSG (or vegetable stock).
- 1/2 C. Organic half and half
- 4 TBS Organic flour
- 3 TBS Butter
- 1 tsp Fresh organic thyme
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, boil fresh broccoli and carrots for 2 min, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Reserve a handful of broccoli for the very end.
- Melt 3 TBS of butter in pot on medium, add onion, shallots, garlic, and thyme cook for 2 min, stirring constantly.
- Add 4 TBS of flour then slowly whisk chicken stock into mixture until dissolved. Add broccoli and carrots and cook for 2 min on high. Add garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
- Puree mixture with either a hand blender or food processor. (May want to do this in batches, depending on your blending method).
- Return to pot if need be and add half and half and cheese, stir well until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli reserve to pot of soup and salt to taste (about 1 tsp of sea salt to start).
- Serve with croutons or crackers.
This simple recipe is made with produce I worked for at the Johnson’s Backyard Garden in East Austin. The produce is local, organic, AND wonderful. Everyone should seek out a CSA close buy and support them. Farming fresh, organic produce is hard work and is deserved to be enjoyed sought after!
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 10-15 min
- 2-3 slices of fresh nitrate free center cut bacon, sliced into bits
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6-10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 yellow onion sliced and quartered
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped (organic)
- 1/2 C white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp, transfer bacon out of skillet with slotted spoon.
- Turn burner to medium and leave as much of the rendered bacon grease you would like to cook the rest of the ingredients, I leave about a TBS in there and wipe the rest out, more the better 🙂
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, and onions and cook for about 3-5 min.
- Add swiss chard and mix around for 1 min, then add wine and lemon juice, cook for another min or two to let some of the liquid reduce.
- Salt and pepper to taste and then ENJOY!