We don’t eat fried chicken a whole lot but every once in awhile Evan or I will get a hankering for some good ole fried chicken. Usually when this happens we hit up our “go to” place = Max’s Wine Dive. It’s always an expensive trip (the wine always gets us damn it…) and it’s quite far from us now that we live out in the boonies. This time we gave it a go at home. It was awesome!
Prep: 24 hrs (if you can wait that long)
Cook Time: 15-17 min per batch
Serves: 4 with sides
- 4 Thighs and 4 drums (separated) with the skin on.
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Peanut oil for frying
- More salt and pepper
- Blend jalapeno, buttermilk, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor.
- In a large glass mixing bowl: add marinade and chicken and cover with plastic wrap, let sit overnight.
- Heat peanut oil up in fryer to 325 degrees F.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper to flour.
- Take chicken out of marinade and let sit for about 20 min on a baking sheet just to warm them up a bit so the fryer oil doesn’t drop drastically. Pat dry, dredge in flour, then egg wash, then flour again.
- Fry pieces in several batches, how many will depend on your fryer’s size. Fry for 15-17 min.
- Place on wire rack and keep warm in oven if you are doing several batches.
Serve with cayenne honey and a side of collard greens and a starch 🙂 I did mashed sweet potatoes. Mmmm!
This is a delicious and healthy lunch or dinner dish that is super simple to prepare. You will love it!!!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 6 min
- 2 Ahi tuna steaks (I like to do about a 4-5 oz steak).
- 2 cups Green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups Purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 TBS Pickled ginger
- 3 TBS Cilantro, chopped rough
- 1 TBS Black sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Coconut oil
Dressing for slaw
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Agave nectar
- 1 TBS Yuzu juice
- 2 TBS Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Wasabi paste
- Wash Ahi and pat dry, season with salt and pepper. Place in fridge while you prep slaw.
- Mix cabbage, cilantro, sesame seeds, and ginger in a medium mixing bowl. Place in fridge.
- Mix up slaw dressing and reserve, dress right before serving.
- In medium to large skillet heat 1 tsp of coconut oil on medium high.
- Sear tuna for about 3 min on each side, at the end of the second side sear the edges quickly- serve rare. You can always cook longer but do not over cook! You want it to be pink in the middle. 🙂
- Place tuna on top of dressed slaw salad! Serve with anything else you like, I did sweet potato gnocchi!
I have decided that I will post a new pizza recipe every week! Since I love pizza and love experimenting with different options this will be a great way to do it 🙂 Pizza just may be one of my favorite things, just maybe… I’m also in LOVE with broccoli greens…
Prep: 1 hr
Cook Time: 20-25 min
- 1 Chicken breast, sliced into somewhat of medallions, cooked in your fav herbs.
- 8 oz Fresh Mozzarella, sliced into medallions.
- 1-2 Shallots, sliced
- 1 Bunch of broccoli greens, take stems off and wash leaves and pat dry.
- Olive oil, about 3 TBS
- Salt, pepper, fine herbs (whatever you like).
- 1/4 C. Parmigiano reggiano, the GOOD stuff!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) Package active dry yeast
- 1 C. Warm water
- 1 TBS. Sea salt
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups Bread flour
- 1/4 C. Cornmeal
Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl.
Add sea salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cup flour.
Attach bowl and dough hook, turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute.
Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to dough hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 5 minutes. If making 2 pies split dough into 2 balls.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
Cover, let rise in warmest place in house away from draft until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
Punch dough down each ball.
Roll out dough as you like and place on your cooking surface. (stone, tin, pan, etc.)
To Top: lay down oil, herbs, sprinkle with salt and pepper, lay down brocolli greens, mozzarella, shallots, chicken, and sprinkle with parm.
Bake for 20-25 min until bubbly and golden!