Cook: 30 min
- 1 lb Bison
- 1/2 lb of whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 C Ricotta
- 1 C mozzarella
- 2 C Tomato puree
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of red pepper
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook penne until al dente.
- In a large skillet, brown bison, onions, mushrooms, and garlic in pan at spinach at last 3 min. Drain liquid, if any.
- Transfer back to large skillet and add 2 cups of tomato puree and 2 cups of spinach and simmer on low for 5 min. Turn off heat and add one cup of ricotta, stir well until completely mixed.
- Transfer to large casserole : penne and meat sauce mixture, stir well coating all of the penne.
- Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered at 375 degrees for 20 min, then uncovered for last 10 min to make cheese golden and bubbly.
Serve with a spinach salad or bread. You could also top penne with some parmesan as well.