Every Tuesday night I have a late class that goes until 9:30, so I don’t get home until around 10pm… I’m taking Hatha Yoga teacher training over the next 8 months (I’m one month in), and I’m loving it! I cook mostly every night with the exception of a dinner or lunch out on the weekends so my husband has the luxury of not having to cook often 🙂 I had been leaving him hot dogs to cook for himself (good one’s like Chicago dogs, ) and it’s was beginning to be apparent that that was getting old…fast. My husband is a good cook when he wants to cook but usually if I don’t tell him what’s available or options he thinks the fridge is empty…even right after I go to the grocery. So last night I switched it up a bit and pre-made some stuffed bells since I found some good ground pan sausage on sale at the grocery. All he had to do was pop them in the oven and make a side salad…pretty simple right? Success! I made enough for 2 peppers so he could eat the 2nd for work today. All I asked in return… was to shoot a photo for the blog 🙂
Prep: 40 min (not active, rice that I used was whole wheat and wild so it takes longer but you could use something else).
Cook: Rice as directed, sausage mixture 10-15 min, baking the completed bells 30 min
- 1/2 lb Pan sausage
- 1/2 C. Uncooked rice (cook as directed, I like to use chicken broth rather than water).
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1 Clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 C. Mushrooms, I used baby bellas, any will do, chopped
- 2 Stalks of celery, sliced into quarter inch slices
- 1 TBS Zestybeandog Fine Herb Blend
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 TBS Butter
- Cook rice and set aside off heat.
- In a medium skillet on high melt butter and add garlic, shallots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook for about 2 min.
- Add pan sausage and mix well, browning sausage. Cook until done and taste, add ZBD Herb Blend, taste again and if it needs the salt and pepper add it ( more than likely you are buying pre seasoned pan sausage so you don’t want to over do it with salt for sure.) Cook for an additional 2-3 min and then gently drain grease if there is too much. Return sausage to pan and add rice mixing it all together.
- Cut tops of bells and discard the inner membrane and seeds. Stuff the bells with the mixture and then enjoy a couple of spoonfuls of the little bit that may be left in the pan 🙂
- You can cook these right away or save them to cook for later or even the next day (these would be great for a dinner party to prep the night before, less work the day of). 🙂
- If cooking right after you prepare pre-heat oven to 350 F and cook for 25-30 min if you are refrigerating them and then cooking pre-heat to 375 F and cook for 30-35 min.