My favorite part of this whole dish is the salad, I could eat a enormous bowl of it, it’s so delicious… refreshing and savory!
Cook: 1-1.5 hours depending on size and if you stuff the hens.
- 2 Game hens, cleaned and innards removed
- 4-6 Carrots cut however you’d like
- 6 New potatoes, quartered
- 4 C. Arugula
- 2 Slices of prosciutto
- 1/4 C. Parma Reggiano (good stuff NOT Digiorno).
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1/2 TBS Zestbeandog Fine Herb Blend, or you can make your own herb blend with things like dried parsley, sage, etc…
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Lemon, juiced
Dressing for Salad
- 1 TBS Lemon juice
- 1 TBS Grapefruit juice
- 6 Grapefruit segments, remove the pith part, see how to do it here
- 2 TBS Red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- 1/2 TBS Zestybeandog Fine Herb Blend
- 1 pinch of fresh ground pepper
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of honey or agave nectar ( you can sub some quality sugar if you don’t have these but add about a TBS).
I usually put the ingredients in a tupperware container that seals well and shake it up to mix well…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare veggies and set aside.
- Get a medium to large casserole dish and place hens side by side, if you are going to stuff them do so now ( I make a breadcrumb stuffing with some old freezer bread if I have it, celery, shallots, chicken stock, and maybe some bacon…). Next you will season your birds: Melt butter and then mix lemon juice with it, baste birds evenly and sprinkle ZBD fine herb blend, salt, and pepper on birds. You can do this again mid way through cooking if you’d like just melt some more butter and add lemon like you did before cooking.
- Place carrots and potatoes into casserole surrounding hens. Toss midway through cooking. Cook for 1-1.15 hrs depending on weight and if you stuffed, stuffed things usually take about 10-15 additional min.
- While hens and veggies cook, prep you salad and dressing.
- For the salad toppings… the crispy prosciutto and reggiano: Place two slices of prosciutto into the oven for about 20 min or until browed and crispy then break into pieces. For the cheese spread the 1/4 C. of reggiano onto a microwave safe plate (spread evenly and thinly) and microwave for 45-1 min let cool and peel of plate and place onto a paper towel, let it sit and then once hardened it should also break up nicely…if not it needs to bee cooked longer or you need a better quality cheese, some can be too oily and that makes it hard to work with for this purpose. These go on top of dressed salads as garnish (a delicious garnish at that)!
- Take salad dressing and toss the arugula and citrus in it and top with garnishes.
- Check hens and make sure they are done, juices should run yellowish or clear, not pink, you can always cut into one to make sure (when I first started cooking with chicken… if I was unsure, I do this and keep the one I cut for myself, it took me a long time to get comfortable with not cutting into them…). Try not to overcook…
- Once everything is in order then you can plate your masterpiece and enjoy!