Cook Time: 7 min
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 3 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 free range chicken breast, thinly sliced across the grain*
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.5 large heads broccoli cut into florets and blanched
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Green onions for serving
- Sesame seeds optional
- Steamed brown rice for serving
Combine the garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and agave nectar or honey. Mix well and set aside until ready to use. Preheat a wok or a large skillet. Once it has reached a medium heat, add 1/2 of the peanut oil. Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch, lightly shake off any excess cornstarch and add 1/2 of the chicken to the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 of the broccoli to the pan and shake frequently.
Add 1/2 of the sauce and stir to evenly coat the chicken and broccoli. Cook until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes. Repeat the process with the other half of the ingredients. Serve immediately with steamed brown rice.
*It will be easier to slice the beef in thin strips if it has been partially frozen.
Chef’s Note: this may be able to be done in 1 batch if using a very large wok or skillet.