Cook Time: 30-45min
Serves approx. 8
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1 pint of fresh washed strawberries sliced, organic
- 1 pint of fresh washed blueberries, organic
- 2 cups (quality) sugar (divided), organic
- 1/2 c. water
- 8 tbs of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 c. milk (2%)
- Ground cinnamon to sprinkle on top before baking
- Combine the berries, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or if you can find it some homemade frozen custard (like Likitty’s) . Thanks Lucas and Amanda for that GREAT introduction!
I really enjoy this recipe more than peach or blackberry cobbler, not only for the flavor but also for the simplicity of it. It’s easy to prep (unlike coring and peeling peaches) and it doesn’t leave those little seeds in your mouth and teeth from the blackberries.