I figured I’d celebrate my Birthday today by posting an awesome recipe I have adapted from Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide. I usually never go off a recipe unless I’m baking a dessert or making something someone asked me to make from a recipe they found, I can never stick to them verbatim though I always “throw” something else in I’m not a huge “cake” fan in fact at our wedding we had cobbler because we don’t favor cake I made these last week for one of Evan’s co-workers, Lori, for her birthday (he did help a bit in case anyone was wondering ; ) ) and they were so good. I ate WAY to many, I even found myself eating them for breakfast…! I’m 28 years old today and feel great!!! I’m still wondering where all this time goes though… Life is good!
Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars (adapted from Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide and Elephant Eats)
Prep: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes: 40 -45 bars
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, and more for end
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 1 ounce cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Texas pecans
- Grease bottom and sides of 15″x10″x1″ baking dish or two smaller pans.
- In a stand mixer on medium, beat flour, 1/2 C. sugar, butter and salt until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, in a three-quart pan, stir corn syrup and chocolate on low until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup, bourbon, remainder of sugar, eggs and pecans. Pour filling over hot crust and bake at 350 until firm around edges but slightly soft in center, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Summer is here (I live in Texas remember) and that means it’s salad time in ZBD land. I love salads year round but there’s just something about the summer time that makes them taste better! Included in this post is a chance for you to win your very own OXO Salad Dressing Shaker! See details on how to win at the end of the post
Strawberry and Pecan Spinach Salad with a Lemon Poppy Yuzu Dressing
Prep: 10 min
- 6-8 C. Baby Spinach
- 2 C. Strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 C. Pecans
- Juice of two lemons
- 1/8 C. Yuzu Juice
- 1/4 C. Olive Oil
- 1/4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TBS. Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Sea salt
The Salad Dressing Shaker by OXO makes it easy to measure with the handy measurements on the side. Add in this order for ease: Olive oi to 1/4 marker, yuzu to 1/3 marker, apple cider to 1/2 marker, then add lemon juice and poppy seeds/seasonings. Shake well before pouring. Can store for up to a week in the fridge.
My thoughts on the OXO Salad Shaker…
I love everything about it:
- The rubber grip helps to well keep a “grip” on it even if you get a bit of oil on your fingers which is nice.
- I love the measurement marks, I usually eyeball but this helps me for writing my recipes for dressings out and being a blogger that comes in handy a lot.
- I love the simple spout thats sealed with a rubber grommet, it allows your finger to rest on top for added security. I haven’t had it leak out once no matter how hard I shake it. I’ve had shakers in the past where this is not the case and I end up with oil and vinegar all over my cabinets This simple design is actually the best I’ve seen. Best of all you can use it one handed!
- It’s BPA free which is a plus for times when making a warm dressing! No leeching BPA’s into your dressing is always a plus!
- It’s all sealed wonderfully so you can leave the dressing in the shaker for multiples days in the fridge, depending on your ingredients some may even last a couple of weeks.
- It says it’s dishwasher safe, but I know this product will probably last me much longer if I hand wash it, so that’s what I’ve been doing. I like my gadgets to last a long time
- It holds a 1 1/2 C. capacity which is plenty for me.
I haven’t found any cons with this product and plan on doing a follow up in 6 months.
*I received 2 OXO Salad Dressing Shakers for FREE, one for myself and one to give away to one of my loyal followers. All opinions I have expressed are my own truthful ones. I have not been paid by OXO or any affiliated company to write this review. I signed up for OXO’s Blogger Outreach Program.
Here’s 5 ways to enter to win: (doing all 5 means you have 5 entries)
- Subscribe to my Blog if you aren’t already and leave me a comment saying you’ve done so or already are an awesome fan.
- “Like” OXO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OXO and leave me a comment saying you’ve done so.
- “Like” ZestyBeanDog on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Zestybeandog and leave me a comment saying you’ve done so.
- “Pin It” (this post) on Pinterest and leave me a comment saying you’ve done so.
- Share This Post on your Facebook page and leave me a comment saying you’ve done so.
I apologize for any inconvenience but this is limited to U.S. Residents ONLY.
Good Luck! The winner will be announced May 1st 2012! Cheers!