For my Mom’s 56th Birthday I wanted to do something really special. My Mom and I didn’t always get along wonderfully when I was younger and it seems like the older I get the more I really have started to connect with her. I’m sure many of you can relate… So I had been thinking and thinking about what I could do and it hit me… Over the Christmas break my Mom mentioned to me how her Dad used to cook the best Polish sausage but no one could ever get the recipe right when they tried (he took the recipe to the grave). So I decide I was going to make polish sausage from scratch, REAL polish sausage! I sought out relatives, Google, books, etc… and went with my gut instinct on the recipe from my research. So for my Mom’s birthday I surprised her with a full blown polish celebration: Sausage, Perogies, Polish Mistakes, and Polkas – the whole nine yards! The day before the party my Mom and I made the sausage together and I got to hear stories about my Grandpa and her childhood (I never met him since he passed before I was born). It occurred to me at this point that there was a lot of this (stories and memories) missing from our relationship so it was really nice to experience this and hear her accounts. I think my Mom was a little emotional by realizing this as well.
For the festivities we had a handful of friends over and made the perogies, Polish Mistakes, and of course drank FAR TOO much wine and beer! I felt terrible the next morning but very proud that everything turned out amazingly good! There’s just something so gratifying about making/eating 100% homemade unprocessed food (minus those Polish Mistakes haha)!
I’d like to share the Perogie and Polish Mistake recipes with you all. However the sausage will indeed remain a secret between my Mom and I. Oh and if you’ve never made sausage from scratch it’s a huge PAIN IN THE ASS, but sooo very good and different from what you get in the stores.
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook Time: 20-45 min depending on fillings (potato takes longer).
- 5 C. All purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 tsp Kosher sea salt
- 1 TBS Sour cream
- 1 TBS Oil
- 1 C. Water
- 2 Onions, sliced.
- 2-4 TBS Butter
- Mix dry ingredients in mixer on low, then add wet, mix on low until dough like consistency. Add more flour or water until it’s right.
- Divide dough into medium sized balls and roll out through a pasta roller. Cut flattened dough into circles with a cup or cookie cutter. Should be about 4″ in diameter.
- Fill with your choice of stuffing. We did potato and onion, potato onion and cheese, kraut and bacon, and Ricotta and parsley.
- Seal pierogies with an egg wash or water. Par boil for 2 min then pan cook in butter with onions until browned.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 1lb Beef, 85/15
- 1lb Country Pan Sausage
- 1/2 Block of Velveeta Cheese (this is about the ONLY thing I would ever put Velveeta in).
- 1 TBS Garlic powder
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Loaf of small Party Rye slices
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 F.
- Brown meats, add cheese and spices.
- Mix well and spoon mixture onto little rye slices.
- Bake for 10-15 min.