Prep: 20 min
Cook Time: 1-1.5 hrs
- 1 whole chicken (fryer works well), about 3.5 lbs
- .5 Cup Dried dates, chopped roughly (pitted)
- .5 Cup Roasted peanuts
- 1 Cup Whole wheat rice
- 8 Cups Chicken stock
- 3 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup ginger, peeled and chopped into inch x inch cubes (remove after cooking)
- 2 Cloves of garlic, peeled and split in half (remove after cooking)
- 1/2 Cup Soy sauce, light
- In a medium bowl, mix uncooked rice, dates, and peanuts together. Stuff washed chicken with mixture. Tie legs together with twine.
- In large pot add broth, water, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken breast down making sure broth and water mixture goes into the cavity where the rice mixture is. Bring back to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, for 40 min. Flip and cook for at least 20 more min. At and of an hour check rice texture for doneness. Cook longer if needed.
- Remove chicken from broth, and set aside. Strain broth and reserve broth adding the soy sauce to it.
- Remove rice mixture and quarter chicken to plate serve with a garnish of cilantro and side of broth.